Wednesday, February 08, 2006

the apparent uninheritable

Someone recently informed me that they dreamt about me reading poetry while topless. Their dreams are more exciting than my reality I guess.

I am wearing a suit right now. I don't like me very much in a suit. But I especially hate me in my DTA/waitress uniform. I had to quit that. The first time I put it on, I looked at my boss and said, "there is just no way to look sexy in this shirt. you're killing me in tips." He rolled his eyes and probably muttered some type of profanity in my direction. That big cuddly bear. So I'm done waiting tables and embracing an even poorer existence of student life, but I will embrace it fully. I've said this a million times before but with all my friends getting married, having babies, and buying houses in the suburbs I've often wondered if I've taken the right roads in life. My boy looks at me and says, "no - you're right where you belong. it'll all work out." But I disagree. I don't think this diva was ever meant to be so constrained by finances! Still life moves on and never waits for you to lament these petty grievances.

My mother came in for a visit. She has an uncanny knack for avoiding tickets. I have to learn this. She was pulled over for going 80 on 95. The cop demanded, "Do you know why I pulled you over ma'am?" She replies with equal authority and weight, "I go high speed!" He stutters, "That's right ma'am and you have unclear plates." Of course my mother doesn't grasp this until the third or fourth explanation and then it hits her, "oh! FINALLY, I got it! But that's not my fault. The dealer make it that way." In the end, she was let go with a warning. My sister professes it's because he was so exhausted that he didn't have the energy to write her a ticket.

This stands in start contrast to my police encounter a few days earlier. Pulled over for talking on the phone while driving. Damn it. Totally my fault. Twenty minutes later I know something is up. The cop comes over and says, "I'm giving you two summons." TWO? "Yup, one for talking on the phone..." Yeah, yeah, yeah. "And the other for an expired license." I snatched it right from his hands and sure enough - expired. There goes 225 dollars on top of my other bills. Maybe I shouldn't have quit my day job.

But my fortune cookie from lunch tells me, "Remember, after rain there is always sunshine."

2 Comments:

Blogger gracie face said...

I must remember you motto for future reference. Miss you!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

your mother strikes again. lol. does she know how famous she is among your friends?

and as for getting married and having babies...take your time! who are we gonna live vicariously through when we're knee deep in diapers and looking unfabulous? =)

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home